Buttonmasher Blog  

Go Back   ButtonMasher Forums > General Discussion

Old 24-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey Sailor!

Send a message via MSN to sock merchant Send a message via Yahoo to sock merchant

Nice one.

Just about to sparge my Belgian Dark Strong. 10kg of grain for 20l batch!
Old 24-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Das a lotta grain. I imagine it would clear quite quickly with a grain bed so thick although it could probably just as easily plug up

Whered you get your immersion chiller from ?
Old 24-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey Sailor!

Send a message via MSN to sock merchant Send a message via Yahoo to sock merchant

It is a fair amount of grain yes. My chilly bin with braided pipe thing cant really plug up. Was considering getting a banksy mash tun... but this thing words farkin well actually. would be good to have more control over temps though.

I'm a little worried that i wont get the colour i'm after. thi8s recipe has crap all dark malts, (about 0.5kg) and most of the colour comes from dark sugar syrup. guess we'll see.

Got a slightly damaged one from Hauraki Homebrew. Fixed it up and bob's your uncle.

Not sure what they usually are. They seem to go for around $150

They are damn easy to make thought. This dude (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=1086664) on trademe often has cheap copper pipe. its soft as so easy to bend.

Last edited by sock merchant; 24-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 24-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Longer boil to darken it up ?

Got a price for an immersion chiller from Chris for $185. Considering his workmanship I reckon its not a bad price. Shipping for the plate chiller was gonna be $50 plus Id need the Hopblocker

So next on my list are 50L pot, immersion chiller and temp controller unit

Whered you get your temp controller from ? Ive had my eye on this one for a little while now. Ive currently got a $5 24 hour timer from Bunnings that I calibrate as the room temp dictates. It does an admirable job but is nowhere near accurate enough for my standards
Old 24-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Hey Sailor!

i do 90 min to 2 hours boils anyway

The sugar i got was the belgian candy syrum stuff (dark). farkin expensive. Anyway, I decided to make some more myself to darken it up and...just because i wanted to try.

sugar, tiny bit of water plus DAP...

Thats the temp controller i got. Just grab some extra bits from Jaycar and you're sweet.
Old 24-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Extra bits ?
Old 24-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey Sailor!

depends on how you want to wire it up. either need to work some power points into it, or you can take the easy route and get two small extension cables and cut them up. At the very least you'll need a jiffy box and connector strip and whatever you want to use to plug it in/out

This is my one (chilling only):

Old 24-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morehu View Post
Got a price for an immersion chiller from Chris for $185. Considering his workmanship I reckon its not a bad price. Shipping for the plate chiller was gonna be $50 plus Id need the Hopblocker
You dont need a hopblocker with a plate chiller ,you can use stainless braided hose for about 5-$10 depending on size
There is a guy in palmy who sells copper at great prices ,I think his trademe name is brass123. a mate built a immersion chiller for $60 easy as ,the copper is the most expencive thing also I got my temp controller from that guy

Hey sock you need some belgian special B malt
Old 24-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey Sailor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maucrephy View Post
Hey sock you need some belgian special B malt
It already has some special b It has a very distinctive taste though. A little goes a long way. Its quite a complex recipe. I tend to try and keep things simple, but this one rocks. Mostly pilsner malt and a bit of aromatic, special b, caramunich, biscuit and chocolate. Also 1.5kg of sugar The sugar is a big colour contributor.

Ended up pretty much where i wanted.

This is preboil (and pre sugar)

Post boil

Old 25-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Hey Sailor!

Holy crap i have an active fermentation going. look at the amount of headspace thats currently filled with krausen. that blow off tube barely sticks through the lid. You will notice the tube is filled.

Edit: I ended up top cropping some yeast for an upcoming brew. No point letting those dumb yeasts commit suicide

Last edited by sock merchant; 25-03-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 26-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Jesus !

Havent had a go at keeping yeast yet. I currently use dried so havent bothered

Been reading some of Moshers recipes for saison and I have to say Im intrigued. Gonna rock an ESB next then maybe a saison
Old 26-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Hey Sailor!

Yeah man it's madness. I cropped a shitload of yeast. Was worried that I didn't leave enough there to finish the job. Two hours later it filled to the top again and piping out again so... Yeah.

Think I may have over pitched yeast by some margin. Which I thought was hard to do for a 1.100 beer!

I love saison man give it a go. Waiting for my summer ale (essentially an ESB) to carb up. Might have made it too "session" as its only 4.2%. Might be a bit too watery. Well see when it's carbed. I put into the keg barely a week after pitching. But this thing fermented through in 1 day. So it had plenty of time for yeast to clean things up. Doesn't taste like green beer even now
Old 28-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Was cleaning out the cupboards earlier and found some demerara sugar Id forgotten about. Im thinkin I may use some to prime my porter. I plan on figuring out the carbonation rate and doing half with dextrose at the minimum carbonation and then adding demerara to the second half to bring it up to the maximum carbonation

Thoughts ?
Old 28-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey Sailor!

Cool, but why? Just seeing what different carb levels do? Personally I'd just prime it all with the Demerara I use it quite a lot in my beers
Old 28-03-2012, 07:51 PM

I thought youd be into the adjuncts. Will do the split so I can see the difference in flavour between the two. Reasoning for doing the two carb levels is so I dont have to bottle it in two batches