Buttonmasher Blog  

Go Back   ButtonMasher Forums > PC Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Captain Rainbow

Talking PC games (aka I got a new gfx card)

So my old gfx card has dropped nuts and decided to stop working. This has basically caused me to buy a new one and I convinced my wife that we should buy one that'll cover us for a couple more years. Should have a 560Ti in my hands in the next 2 days and an HDMI cable long enough to connect to my TV (I also have a 360 controller for my PC).

So the question is: what games are coming out that I should pick up for PC?

I'll more than likely grab Far Cry 3 for PC when that comes out now and at some stage in the next month I'll probably snap up Skyrim as well. The thought of playing that at max setting, 1080p at 60fps on my 40" TV with surround sound from my couch with a 360 controller is just way too awesome.

PC Specs are now:
Quad core i5-2500 @ 3.3Ghz
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM

I have found my way into the PC threads as I'm thinking about the next gen of consoles coming, and whether I want to go PC on my 40' TV in the lounge instead.

I like the whole console thing of .....buy a game chuck it in, way you go......but Steam and broadband has kinda worked around that since my PC gaming days of 10 years ago.

Any words of wisdom? Problems? Benefits?

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Captain Rainbow

All I can say is that what I've seen in the last 24 hours have blown away any thought that the 360 and PS3 is where its at for gaming. Up until yesterday I thought 720p games scaled to 1080p with alright framerates were acceptable and normal, but MAN.
Seeing Dirt 3 running how it did. Native 1080p. 60fps with zero framerate drops. Anti-aliasing at max as well as every detail and texture in higher quality than the console version. It was a sight to behold for sure.

There are people out there who don't believe the jump from PS3 to PS4 will be that big a jump, but honestly I think there's a big enough jump from PS3 to a decent PC rig. Sure, in the last 6 months I've spent $900 or so for the PC so it should be good, but considering it destroys what I've seen on home console, I'm happy.

I'm looking forward to Far Cry 3 to be honest. I love that series and know it'll look amazing on the PC and I'll get to control it with my 360 controller from my couch. Happy times!

Only problem I have so far is that I can't get surround sound working for my PC gaming (I need a new receiver for that) and that both my PC and my TV are out of action for my wife while I'm gaming. Not sure what to do about both of those things tbh.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mc Fadge

Trine 2 and Bastion are both fun and gorgeous games which support gamepad input.
Old 13-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Captain Rainbow

I let it be known on reddit that I was now into PC gaming and someone added me on Steam and gifted me a couple of games: Section 8 Prejudice and LightFish.

Section 8 was surprisingly awesome tbh. I like the fact that it uses Games for Windows Live as well, so I can still see what my 360 mates are doing as well as earn achievements for my Gamertag. Then..... 32 player online. That was AWESOME.

I'm probably just running on excitement but PC gaming is super awesome when not constricted to keyboard/mouse and my computer desk.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:37 AM

obvious one would be diablo 3

the witcher 2. enhanced edition will be a free update on the pc and it's known to have great controller support.

max payne 3

wing commander the darkest dawn. a free fan made wing commander game using the freespace 2 engine made over 10 years.http://www.wcsaga.com/
downloads section is a bit confusing to navigate so I linked the downloads you need for the game below

main game download
http://wcsaga.com/downloads/files/do...setup-zip.html

small patch
http://wcsaga.com/downloads/files/do...setup-exe.html

if you do an advanced search on steam and under the category filter select controller enabled it will give you a listing of games that support a controller. it's not always accurate though as some games that support a controller aren't listed. this thread on the steam forums might also be helpful
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1325865

steam has regular daily deals that get changed over in the morning nz time. they also have a mid-week madness sale on a game or two that normally goes up on Wednesday nz time and a weekend deal that goes up on a friday nz time. also check the specials tab there are sometimes unannounced deals in there on games.

I would also recommend checking out gog.com they mainly sell older pc games at cheap prices but they recently have been adding some newer games and some brand new ones as well all drm free.

Last edited by esoj; 13-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 14-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Captain Rainbow

Awesome! Thanks esoj!
I wasn't aware the PC version of Witcher 2 was going to get the enhanced edition updates, so I might have to grab it for PC.
Old 16-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Captain Rainbow

Managed to pick up Dirt 3 from nzgameshop for $7.99
Old 18-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Grew extra fingers for gaming

Send a message via MSN to Vivasanti

Diablo iii want.
Old 27-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Master Baiter

So .....

I tried some PC gaming last night, and unfortunately, it didn't go very well; i'm still well and truly a console gamer. Now i'm not saying my experience is the norm, probably the exception, but it didn't really provide a compelling argument that PC gaming is for me.

I saw Steam for Linux was available, and that the beta was now open to anyone, so i downloaded it. Of the Linux games, only one really appealed to me (Red Orchestra), and when SecludedCrayon pointed out to me that it was multiplayer only, even that lost it's appeal.

I'd been reading a bit about this Hotline Miami game, so i downloaded it through Steam on my Windows laptop. Ran the setup, and got "Error 0xc0000135" - super-helpful description on that one. A Google later, and i found that it needed .Net Framework to be installed. Installed it, and ran the file. A bunch of 'PC Fix It' and '24/7 PC Helpdesk' taskbar and system tray stuff also installed, along with a browser hijacker that kept changing my homepage.

Ran the game; no support for an Xbox Controller via the PC receiver dongle, it was WASD all the way - very 1993. Game fired up, and it was all stuttery and constantly flashing - no real idea what the problem was, suspect a DirectX issue maybe, but by then i was beyond caring; removed the game, and used System Restore to get rid of the browser hijacker stuff and taskbar/systray bullshit.

I think that's probably about it for my PC gaming escapades - i really wanted it to go well, and even as the game downloaded i optimistically thought "I wonder if this will be the start of me getting into PC gaming again?". I mean, Newsy, Falcone, Sock have all had great PC gaming experiences. Sadly, it wasn't so for me.

I gave it a try though fellas.
Old 27-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Hey Sailor!

Send a message via MSN to sock merchant Send a message via Yahoo to sock merchant

You are probably wasting your time trying to do PC gaming on a linux only box.

As for the laptop... how old is it?

I'd say unless your pc is half decent, its probably easier to stick with console. If your PC is ok, and even 3 years old is fine, it provides a much superior way of gaming. More games, that look better, and are cheaper.

Unless your PC has some funny architecture, I'm surprised by the issues you have had so far. I have seen piss all error messages in years. I havent had to do any dicking around with drivers etc.

Sucks that you had a negative experience.

Also, Just ran Hotline miami to check. It does have 360 pad support. Just need to turn i on in the options.

The only games i have come accross that dont support 360 pads are old games and MMO's
Old 28-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Master Baiter

I think the laptop is about 4 years old, but it's not like Hotline Miami is a processor/GPU intensive game, from what i can tell from the screen-shots.

I'm thinking i might chuck Windows 7 on the Linux box and ditch Linux all-together. I like Linux Ubuntu, but it can be a chore to get stuff working. It's got an i5 processor, 4gb of RAM, and an Ati Sapphire HD-5450 graphics card.

I admit that i don't really know how these specs stack up, and particularly where the graphics card sits in current generation of graphics cards on the market.

I probably could have figured out the flickering issue and the controller selection, but i guess what concerned me the most is the other stuff that also installed - they did come up as install options, and i deselected them, but they installed anyway. Browser hijacker's should not be an issue when you get a game from a reputable source.
Old 28-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey Sailor!

Send a message via MSN to sock merchant Send a message via Yahoo to sock merchant

That desktop should be ok. Not familiar with the graphics card, but shouldnt cause too many issues. Clearly not top of the line or anything, so would mostly be for smaller games i imagine. Think its meant to be for HTPC as opposed to gaming though.

I used ubuntu for a few years. Really like it, but man, its a pain in the ass to make it do somethings.

For gaming PC, you really need windows.
Old 29-12-2012, 05:50 AM

I don't know where you downloaded the .net framework but if it cam from a microsoft site shouldn't have had all the garbage attatched.

And its a laptop sock.
Old 29-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Hey Sailor!

Pretty sure he has a Linux box AND a laptop