Buttonmasher Blog  

Go Back   ButtonMasher Forums > General Gaming Forum

Old 22-04-2012, 12:44 AM
My Troll Hat is Bigger than Yours!

Old 22-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel Prydain View Post
Yeah, the whole ammo-system change was one of my big "wtf?" moments of ME2. That clip is crack-up
Old 22-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Captain Rainbow

Finished this tonight and I'm pretty let down by the ending. I was really getting into it too. Making that final decision took me a good minute or two of thinking. I knew Shepard was going to die no matter what so I wanted to make his decision matter.

He stepped to the left after deciding he'd take control of the Reapers. As he held on and melted away in the light memories of his friends and loved ones pass through his mind. The fighting stops and the reapers launch themselves back into the sky. And this is where my enjoyment stopped.

What the hell was Joker doing in the Normandy on a Mass Relay jump? Why did the Mass Relays all blow up? I thought only one option was meant to cause this to happen? Why the hell did Liara get off the Normandy with Joker when she was right by my side as we ran towards Harbinger's laser beam of death? And most of all why wasn't I given an update from around the galaxy of all the celebration over the fact that... oh I don't know... THEY WOULDN'T BE WIPED OUT ANYMORE.

I ADORED the ending up until I realised Bioware simply got lazy. Then checking the other endings online made me realise that your final decision actually doesn't matter at all. Same cutscene with a different coloured glow spreading across Earth. Hell, do we even know if that glow reached all the other planets? There was no indication of this. So does that mean the reapers in other parts of the galaxy are still fighting?

I didn't think I'd be on the side of the complainers, and while I don't want a different ending, I sure as hell feel that Bioware released the game unfinished.
Old 22-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey Sailor!

Send a message via MSN to sock merchant Send a message via Yahoo to sock merchant

It was too brief, and a little sloppy. I dont really mind what happens exactly, but i want to see if it was farkin worth it.

They need to elaborate on this deus ex machina... little boy... stuff.

Loved the game up until that point though. And even the weak ending couldn't dampen my feelings on the series.

Ps I took the middle road.
Old 22-04-2012, 12:08 PM

I went right, and my shepard survived.

But yea, nothing you do throughout the whole series has any impact on the ending... very dissapointing and lazy on Biowares behalf
Old 22-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Indoctrination theory...............it makes it all seem better. :-)

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Old 23-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I didn't think I'd be on the side of the complainers, and while I don't want a different ending, I sure as hell feel that Bioware released the game unfinished.
Well, first off, you're not on the side of the complainers... or rather, there isn't really a 'side of the complainers'. The first thing you notice is that there are actually several groups complaining about the ending - but they are actually all complaining about totally different things.

There are people like yourself that want a longer ending that explains WTF is going on - the good news is that the free 'extended cut' DLC should fix your complaint.

There were some that wanted choices throughout the games to effect the ending
(FWIW - I think that plenty of what you did came back in ME3 - the fact that is happens in the middle of the game rather than the end doesn't make it less meaningful).

There are people who hate the star child/catalyst, and want him cut from the ending all togeather (for several reasons they consider him a plot hole).

And there are many, many who want a totally different 'happy ending'
Like this thread: "I miss my love interest so much"
Think that's creepy? How about this one, that speculates on what the babies of Leara and Shepard look like? With Pictures!

Annnnnnnnnny way, point is - there wasn't ever really a massive outcry about any one aspect of the ending. There were just serveral groups whose quite different complaints took place in the last ten minutes.

Last edited by Tel Prydain; 23-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Captain Rainbow

My problem is that there shouldn't be a free extended cut DLC coming out. It just shows Bioware pushed an unfinished game out onto shelves.

My prediction: Other DLC will release between now and the new ending and when the ending releases they'll release a Director's Cut version of ME3 with all DLC plus new ending.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:33 PM

See, that's the thing... It seems they didn't think it was rushed. It was pushed back to give them time to polish it, so one can only assume that they thought the ending was okay.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:50 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if EA just thought "screw it, you've had enough time, let's get it out there". I know Bioware says otherwise, but how often do devs say otherwise when they have someone like EA behind them?
Old 23-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Captain Rainbow

Precisely. When your publisher says you're ready to go, you say you're ready to go.
I don't see how they could have thought that that ending was a decent ending for something most people have put 100+ hours into.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Accept it's the mostly the same ending that was in the script leak last year - and there was a lot of feedback about the endings then (it was just all ignored because it was just jerks reading a leaked script that complained). In fact, there was some feelings that the endings in the leaked script were fake because they were so bad.
That's enough time to add or remove something... even if it's DAII style ending cards.
The one big change was there were more endings where shepard lived.
Old 28-06-2012, 04:18 AM

So, anyone check out the new endings?

I reloaded my original Shepard and checked out the "destroy" ending. I would have been much happier with this ending the first time around. It's not perfect, but elaborated enough on key parts so that you don't feel completely empty. So, looks like the council's rebuilding the Citadel, possibly even the relays?
Old 28-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Master Baiter

Yeah i downloaded it, and i think i played the same "destroy" ending as you; was that the one where you went right, and then shot the conduit?

Anyway, i couldn't be arsed playing through 20 minutes each to see the other 3 endings, so i just YouTubed them.

No major changes really, just a 'fleshing out' of the existing endings. I was still a bit underwhelmed, TBH, but in retrospect, after reading about what the actual changes were, i'm reasonably satisfied. Even though it was a bit reactionary from BioWare/EA, at least they actually made some effort to deal with all the bad feeling over the ending. They could have just said "Sorry, it is what it is" and left it at that.

I must get back into ME3 multiplayer. Need to have a blat on the 2 new maps.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Master Baiter

So no-one else huh? Everyone now totally over ME3?

Anyway, looks like it's confirmed; Shepard lives in the Destroy ending!
http://kotaku.com/5922726/bioware-co...-mass-effect-3