Buttonmasher Blog  

Go Back   ButtonMasher Forums > Nintendo Forum

Old 21-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Go team venture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriceguy View Post
I'm hoping they'll have some on display at Dick Smith.
I'm sure they'll go hard on display units with the 3DS. Getting as many people as possible to experience the device will be crucial to it's success.
Old 22-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Grew extra fingers for gaming

Send a message via MSN to Vivasanti

Thanks for the lesson guys, iv always had problems seeing 3d as ive got bad "binocular vision" i cant focus properly on one spot very, had problems getting my full licence cause of this
Old 23-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Soulless V

So by ridged screen you mean this works excatly like the 3d trading cards that have been around since at least the early 80's? I have a great 3d book mark that uses this.

And the tv stuff, you've been able to get a dvd player that does special 3d movies in the fashin for like almost 10 years now.

Its about time all this old tech finaly made it mainstream.
Old 23-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Go team venture!

It's not old 'tech' going mainstream. It's old 'ideas' (much older than the 80s) on how to create a 3D effect being created using new methods and technology.
Old 26-06-2010, 11:17 AM

sadly the 3d tvs with shutter glasses are nothing new.
Old 26-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Go team venture!

That's like saying it sucks that LCD displays are nothing new. What's your point?
Old 26-06-2010, 11:43 PM

I'm saying its a shame they couldn't have brought this stuff out 10 years ago when they first started selling it to the public. Its only recently that more mainstream studios and things like live sports have decided to get on the band wagon.
Old 27-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Captain Rainbow

What would be the point of bringing them out 10 years ago when there was nothing to watch on them? :\

The reason they're coming out now is because there is live sports and movies (and now games) that utilise them.
Old 27-06-2010, 02:02 AM
List Master

That and 10 years ago would've been so bad it would break your brain in half, in half again, run it through a grater, break the shavings in half, thrown into a punnet of liquid nitrogen, broken in half, and set fire, twice.

With the ability to make things as small as we can today, with the ability to write, compress and broadcast data in todays standards, and a whole bunch of other technology allows it to go more mainstream. 10 years ago we were running bandwidth something like 200 times slower than what we have now... But even now the displays are so "trialware", we really need to wait until we start seeing some more true 3D displays going on, and none of that shit in those "futuristic" films where the picture looks fucking terrible as a trade-off either.

Having said all that, there are people who suffer motion sickness who will need to stear clear from 3D shit anyway, and apparantly children with undeveloped brains (7 and under), shouldn't be tricking their brains with the technology we have right now as well. With TV's and their really cruddy refresh rates being eye destroyers in the past, it makes sense that we shouldn't be subjecting our eyes to half of that, alternating, each eye. Heck for the film industry I still think we shouldn't be subjecting ourselves more long term to our current methods of delivering 3D entertainment.

I still reckon that mainstream film should be focusing on increasing the frames per second first. 24 is really shit. I want a solid image, we're going backwards to make room for 3D here.

Last edited by ZedameX; 27-06-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedameX View Post

...and apparantly children with undeveloped brains (7 and under), shouldn't be tricking their brains with the technology we have right now as well.
This is a really interesting problem with the technology as a whole. Nintendo's market skews young anyway so what's going to happen to their DS gaming? Is it going to put a much bigger onus on parents to control what their kids play? Maybe, which I think won't work anyway.

Maybe they will have some sort of parental control where the parent can force 3d games into 2d regardless of the depth slider's position. Of course, then those games that rely on the 3d for gameplay would have problems. There's a lot of unanswered questions and it will be interesting to see how they pan out and whether we have a group of young children growing up with eye problems.
Old 27-06-2010, 02:49 PM
"I wanna be a pirate!"

Send a message via MSN to Mriceguy

So Nintendo are aware of it, but will simply stating that its potentially dangerous to children, really get the message across? You're right Aaron, they really need some sort of parental controls. Maybe the 3D slider will be able to be pried off?
http://kotaku.com/5566671/nintendo-t...en-to-avoid-3d
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Grew extra fingers for gaming

Send a message via MSN to Vivasanti

Just saw a vid for new Donkey Kong Country! awesome!