Buttonmasher Blog  

Go Back   ButtonMasher Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
He doesn't just break the news, He gets it!

Default Apple TV

Hi Apple TV owners and those that know anything about them.

Is it just me or is the OLD 160Gb Apple TV BETTER than the new one?

Sure the new one is smaller, but at what cost?

The 160Gb just dropped in price to $259 vs. $169 for the new one.

Can owners and accidental and whoever tell me their thoughts on the issue? Should I go get a 160Gb before they disappear off the new shelves?

Questions about the OLD Apple TV (160Gb):

1. Does it do EVERYTHING that the new one does and more? Or does the new one offer tricks that the old one can't learn?

2. Which has the better output resolution? Is the hardware of the new one more capable in this respect or are they equivalent?

3. Can I rip my DVDs and transfer them to the Apple TV? And can I play divx natively on Apple TV (or at least convert it to a compatible format)? Or is the only content I can play on it stuff that I buy from iTunes?

4. Is streaming possible over b/g or will I need to have "N" to do this? And does this also depend on the resolution? Does HD content require N to work?

Last edited by ahmad; 03-09-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Go team venture!

AFAIK, the old one wasn't great at outputting 720p smoothly, and the interface was laggy. The new one is super smooth. And I don't think the old will get the AirPlay features that the new one has.

Also, I was listening to the Macworld podcast today and they are guessing that the new one must be running iOS because it's powered by the A8 chip (from the iPhone 4 and iPad) which is a chip that can't run OS X.
This being the case, they're predicting that Apple will launch an app store for AppleTV next year. It'll then be a free-for-all for content providers to develop apps for their various content and it'll be a pretty hot little device.

As a pure streaming device it's still worth the money IMO—if you're someone who has bought into Apple's ecosystem.

All the people crying foul over the fact that "it just a rental device, STUPID" are missing the point that you can't purchase with it because there's no storage. You can still purchase with your PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and stream from any of those devices to the Apple TV in 720p. The only bummer for most people about not having internal storage is that you must have the device you're streaming from powered on at the time.

If I had an HDTV I'd get one—despite the fact that iTunes HD rental content is almost non existent in NZ. Which is probably just as well considering our almost incapable broadband.

Last edited by accidental; 03-09-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 AM

AirPlay is BS. what's so good about it??

Perspective here:

AppleTV
- can browse streaming iPhoto libraries (from host PC)
- can stream music from iTunes home library (from host PC)
- can stream movies from iTunes home library (from host PC)
- can stream stuff from an iPad or other iOS device (ie. AirPlay)

iPad (a media consumption device)
- CAN'T broswe streaming iPhoto libraries (must sync photos before they can be viewed)
- CAN'T stream music from iTunes home library
- CAN'T stream movies from iTunes home library

Crazy. I'm starting to get as pissed off with Apple as I once was as pissed off with Nintendo for their stubbornness and stupidity.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Go team venture!

I don't know what you're in a tizz about dude. The point of the streaming functionality of an AppleTV is that it's always attached to a TV. It will never get content unless you can stream it. iPads are an evolution of the iPod. It's portable, the content comes from your computer when you sync it.

I get that the iPad should be able to stream content from your PC as well. With the new AirPlay standard this mightn't be far away.

AirPlay is awesome because AirTunes was awesome (why I bought an Airport Express) and now it's become a much tighter integrated feature that supports all media—not just music.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 PM

I'm in a tizz because of Apple's arrogance that constantly cripples their products and forces you to use them in only the way and paid model that THEY dictate. No wonder people hate their products and go for any alternative on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
I get that the iPad should be able to stream content from your PC as well. With the new AirPlay standard this mightn't be far away.
The iPad is a media consumption device. It shouldn't require syncing. Playing from an iPad and displaying on your Apple TV device is pointless. What we need is streaming to the iPad as a consumption device.

Not far away? The most recent event covers out to 4.2 and that's due November. Nothing was mentioned about streaming to iPad at all. That's why I'm in a tizz.

iPad is cool but it will be sold next year regardless of whether I will be upgrading it or not. I'll either get iPad 2 if Apple sorts it out, or consider my options at that stage.

The following scenario demonstrates how stupid the situation is:

You go over to mum and dad's place and they want to show you their recent photos from their Italy trip. Their iPad is of course the perfect device to show it on. Oops! Silly dad - he forgot to SYNC the photos from iPhoto to the iPad.

Oh well, let's stream the iPhoto library to Apple TV Mark II instead. That "just works".

Seriously not cool. And that's exactly why I'm so pissed at Apple at the moment.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Go team venture!

If Apple can't give you the features you want then go with something else.
Seems to me like a misguided sense of entitlement for a feature that isn't present on a four month old first-generation product.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
If Apple can't give you the features you want then go with something else.
Seems to me like a misguided sense of entitlement for a feature that isn't present on a four month old first-generation product.
It just makes no sense. You are supposed to be able to browse your photos on your iPad.

You can share music on your home network, as long as it isn't an iPad/iOS device.

The lack of streaming to iOS makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and users shouldn't be expected to do so much research before buying a device (I do but hey that's me).

It totally goes against Apple's increasingly untrue "just works" philosophy. I've been had.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Go team venture!

I bought a DSi and I'm pissed at Nintendo because I saw it had a front-facing camera and I thought I could do Skype on it. I've been had.

You haven't really 'been had' dude.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM

I suspect you didn't buy a DSi to Skype.

I bought an iPad to consume media. It is sold as such. Having to sync it and not having it play nice with my Mac makes no sense whatsoever.

No doubt it will become one of the 1000 features slated to OS 5.0 so that everyone can once again hail Steve.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Go team venture!

How is it not playing nice?

Again, it's the first product of it's kind. It's based on iPhones/iPods so it's based on syncing. I don't know how you expected a feature to be there that never has been, and was never talked about.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 PM

I agree with both of you...

You can't expect it to be there because nothing else of Apples works like that. But on the other hand it is such an obvious feature that it *should* be in all Apple products. I think Apple has some other grand plan or reason for not allowing it. Probably to get you to buy Apple TV's, and Macs.

All Apple products SHOULD be able to stream to all other Apple products. Not being able to stream my media to my iPad from my Mac is, quite honestly, moronic.

That said, even if we could do that, Apple are so tightly in control of the codecs you can use on their stuff that a lot of content (read divx) would just be unplayable on a lot of their devices.

Essentially, they will just keep trying to funnel you into Macs and Quicktime until they totally own that media space.

Of course, if you don't like it, don't buy it.